According to a US News ranking, Colorado has been named the best state for the aging population. We aren’t surprised, considering we love our wonderful state. However, there are multiple reasons beyond it being a great state, that Colorado has won this ranking.
Colorado’s aging population is growing significantly. The Colorado State Demography Offices predict that by 2030, there will be a 77% increase in adults aged 65 and older from 2015. Many of these come from older residents who have lived in Colorado for more than 20 years and don’t plan on leaving. When the nation is aging so rapidly, it’s great that Colorado can be known as the state that cares for its aging population.
Here are a few reasons why Colorado is the best state for the elderly and aging population:
- Nursing Home Quality: Colorado scored the number 6 spot for nursing home quality. This also helps control overall health costs for the state.
- Colorado has one of the healthiest 65 and older populations of any state.
- Governor Hickenlooper appointed a senior advisor on aging to lead Colorado’s aging-related efforts. He is also working closely with the private sector, providing incentives for private nursing homes to improve their quality.
- Colorado’s active lifestyle plays a big part in health outcomes for seniors. There are a lot of outdoor recreational activities, community engagement, senior centers, and other programs out there to encourage this active lifestyle.
- Colorado offers a Regional Care Collaborative Organization, which connects members of Colorado’s Medicaid Program with providers, which makes providing a medical home more cost-effective.
- There are initiatives to help older residents stay in their homes longer, including a tax break for those 65 and older that have lived in their home for over 10 years.
- The growing economy in Colorado means that people are staying in the workforce longer. The unemployment rate for people 65 years and older is 2.5%, which is lower than the national average.
- As more and more millennials move into the Denver area, which is adding to the quality of life for many seniors. They bring new life into communities.
- The state is working on initiatives to help seniors in rural areas that may not be able to drive to their doctor appointments, go to the grocery store, etc.
Colorado is a beautiful state and it’s only fitting that we’ve been named the best state for aging. Between the governmental programs, the community, the active lifestyle, and the different programs, seniors are well taken care of and enjoy a better quality of life. So, if you are looking for a place to retire and age well, Colorado may be the place to look.